Thursday, April 2, 2009

Upcoming events

Today, I'm going to share my Friday schedule with you, the reader. Why? Because I feel that it's important for you to know why, come Friday night, I'm hastily typing up a one-paragraph blog instead of thoughtfully opining about some topic or another. :) Also, it gives you more of a sense of what I'm going through as a college student and as a meteorologist. So here goes nothing.

Meteorology class, 9:00-9:50
Tour of the National Weather Center, 11:00-1:00
Medieval Faire, 2:30-7:00 (hopefully, I'll have something to talk about from that!)

Today, I want to talk for just a moment about energy conservation. Specifically, should I? Now, the obvious answer that comes to mind is "Of course you should, you nitwit!" But here's my scenario. I live in an on-campus apartment. All of my utilities (water, electric, internet, cable) are provided by the university for a yearly (or monthly, but I chose yearly) fee. Since this fee is static for the course of the year, does it really matter how much energy I use? I say yes, because if everyone cut back a little bit, the university could save money to spend elsewhere, such as classroom upgrades or increasing teachers' salaries. My roommate, Braden, says no. He thinks that since it's paid for, we can use as much as we want, since they're not going to raise our rates. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment